New Mexico is currently operating under a state of emergency, as established by the governor. The impact on bar admissions in New Mexico is as follows:
- Admissions staff are still working and only minor COVID-19-related delay is expected in application intake and processing. Character and fitness investigations and reviews are expected to continue under our normal schedule, but character and fitness interviews or hearings for some applicants will be delayed.
- Our office is not available for visits from applicants or other members of the public, even to drop off application materials. All application materials should be sent via US Mail, FedEx, UPS, or similar. We recommend sending any such items with tracking – we are not able to confirm receipt of mailings except through regularly scheduled application updates; please do not contact us asking if we received your documents. We do not recommend that you require a signature, as that may delay delivery.
- Law schools may send transcripts and law school certification forms digitally, but those documents must come directly from the school and may not be passed through the applicant first. The email address for such submissions is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Some fingerprinting locations around the country are closed due to COVID-19; the Board cannot waive the fingerprinting requirement, but fingerprints need not be submitted at the same time as the application. However, if a fingerprinting location is currently open near you, we recommend that you do not wait to be printed.
- Board staff are busy processing and reviewing applications and have limited ability to answer the phone. For a faster answer, please first check this website and the Rules Governing Admission. If your question is not answered in those places, email email@example.com rather than calling.
- The April 29 swearing-in date has been cancelled. The Board will notify those applicants approved to be sworn in once new dates become available.
- Regular updates will continue to be made by email and, in some cases, mail; please watch for these communications and read them carefully before requesting information from our office. As always, our office is not able to provide one-off file updates.
- Changes, should they occur, will be posted on this page.
February 2020 Bar Exam Applicants:
- Grading for the February 2020 bar examination will not be affected by the COVID-19 virus or state of emergency.
- The April 29 swearing-in date has been cancelled and the Board and Court are working on a new schedule for swearing-in. We will contact you when that schedule has been set.
- Character and fitness investigations and evaluations are expected to proceed on schedule. Character and fitness interviews and hearings, if called, will be delayed. Please continue to watch your mail and email for updates and requests for information.
July 2020 Bar Exam Applicants:
- Please see this update on the National Conference of Bar Examiners’ website: http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-covid-19-updates/
- What impact, if any, the ongoing COVID-19 crisis will have on the July 2020 Uniform Bar Examination in New Mexico is not certain at this time. We are in close contact with the National Conference of Bar Examiners and other jurisdictions as we all consider possible options for the July exam in the event that bar admission office closures or prohibitions against large gatherings remain in effect. Please watch this webpage, your email, and Slack for information on any changes.