Uniform Bar Exam Transfer Application Process
UBE scores may be transferred to New Mexico so long as they:
- Were earned within 36 months of the application date.
- Reflect a score of 260 or above.
There is no filing deadline other than the 36-month requirement, and successful applicants may be sworn in throughout the year.
All applicants to the New Mexico Bar must take a course in New Mexico law prior to admission. This class is taken after you submit your application but before you can be licensed.
All required forms are linked at the right side of this page. Please do not staple or bind any part of your application. Original signatures are required.
The following documents must be submitted in a single application packet.
- UBE Transfer Checklist, filled out and initialed.
- Application form (two originals, both with original signatures) and filing fee. The application link takes you to the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) web site to access their character and fitness application, which is also our application for UBE transfer. The application must be filled out online on the NCBE website and then printed out to be mailed to our office. Please send two original printouts of the application, both signed and notarized, which will include three original copies of the NCBE Release and Authorization Form, to the New Mexico Board of Bar Examiners; must contain original signatures. Do not submit a payment to the NCBE with your online application; the Board will pay for the report. Please don’t staple or tab the application or print it double-sided. Please note that the NCBE’s investigative report takes between 75 – 90 days on average and can take as long as six months to complete. Please take the time to make a copy for your records.
- Statement of Social-Security Number. One copy signed and dated; must contain original signature.
- Applicable filing fee in the form of a personal or business check, money order, or certified check payable to the NM Board of Bar Examiners or by credit card via our credit card authorization form. The Board does not accept cash payments.
- Two signed and notarized copies of the Authorization and Release Form for the New Mexico Board of Bar Examiners; must contain original signatures.
- A credit report with credit score from one of the three major credit reporting agencies (Transunion, Equifax, or Experian) printed within 30 days of submitting your application. You may secure a free credit report from each of these agencies once per year at www.annualcreditreport.com. Reports secured through third parties (including Credit Karma) and incomplete or abbreviated credit reports will not be accepted. May be printed double-sided. Please note that data on your credit report will be cross-referenced to disclosures on your application; please check it carefully. If you do not know the meaning of a term found on the credit report (e.g.”charge-off”), please research it before assuming it means that you do not still have a liability.
- Statistical Data Sheet.
- Three character and fitness statements from attorneys in good standing in any jurisdiction in the United States. You should request three attorneys that know you to complete these forms. These attorneys should be in addition to those persons listed in the body of the application listed above as item number 1. Law school professors may complete these forms, provided they are attorneys in good standing in any jurisdiction in the United States. Among other things, good standing means active membership in a state bar. You may collect these forms and include them with your application or have them forwarded directly to the office. In either case, they must be originals and current. Submission of these forms will satisfy the requirement for three letters of recommendation required by the rules.
- Certificate of Good Standing from any state in which you are already licensed. This does not apply to any applicant who is not already licensed in another state.
The following items must also be submitted. They must be sent directly to the NMBBE by the issuing entity, not by the applicant.
- Uniform Bar Examination score. Score must be provided through the NCBE’s score transfer service.
- Transcript from law school with evidence of graduation (do not send diploma) and law school certification form. Your final and complete official transcript from law school should indicate that you were awarded your J.D. and on what date. The transcript must be sent to the Board’s office directly from the law school or university registrar. The law school certification form must be sent directly to the Board’s office from the law school. Student or Xerox copies are not acceptable.
- Passing Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination Score (MPRE). You must have a scaled score of 80 or better on the MPRE to satisfy this requirement. If you took this exam previously for another jurisdiction, you may have that score certified here. A passing scaled score of 80 or above achieved no more than five (5) years before filing a first application for admission in New Mexico will be accepted. This board does not administer that exam and you may take it in any location/state it is offered. To certify a score or register for the MPRE, please go to www.ncbex.org.
- FBI and NM State Criminal Records. Visit this page for information on securing these reports, which are sent directly to the Board by the appropriate agencies.
Application materials must be mailed to:
New Mexico Board of Bar Examiners
20 First Plaza Center NW, Suite 710
Albuquerque, NM 87102
All attorneys sworn in to practice law in New Mexico must submit, within 30 days of licensure, the New Lawyer Application/Deferment/Exemption form through the New Mexico State Bar. Please see this page for more information [link].
- Application made within one year of graduating from law school: $500
- Application made more than one year from graduation from law school: $1000
- UBE Transfer Cover Sheet – NEW [pdf]
- Application Form [link]
- Statement of Social Security Number [pdf]
- UBE Score Transfer [link]
- NMBBE Authorization and Release Form [pdf]
- Statistical Data Form [pdf]
- Character and Fitness Statement [pdf]
- Law School Certification Form [pfd]
- Request FBI & State Background Check [link]
- Credit Card Authorization Form (optional) [pdf]